Over 19 million American citizens care for an adult over 75, and safety is a primary concern for all of them. Seniors and senior caregivers need to be especially vigilant both online and offline. Safety for seniors has two main aspects–protection from others who would take advantage of them, and protection from accidents that happen all by themselves. Safety around the house, home, or assisted living facility is easy to improve with just a few simple steps. And when it comes to online safety, just knowing what scams are out there, so you won’t be fooled, is 99% of the battle.
Here are some of the best resources we know of on senior safety.
Seniors and Health Safety
- Home Safety: A guide to preventing accidents in the home.
- Driving Safety: The Foundation for Traffic Safety provides a tremendous amount of resources for senior driving safety.
- Safety at Home: A guide for home safety.
- Manage Prescriptions: Tips for managing prescription medicines.
- Safety Tips: Safety tips for phone calls, being on the street, scams and elderly women.
- Senior Citizens Safety Tips: City of Detroit safety tips for the community and home.
- Health Tips: Health facts and tips for meeting senior health needs.
- Senior Health Tips: Basic health tips for eating healthy, exercising and using non-prescription medicines.
- Fire Safety Tips: Fire safety tips with a downloadable fire checklist.
Scams and Crimes
- Common Scams: A list of common scams targeting senior citizens.
- Stop Senior Scams: Tips on how to help senior adults avoid scams.
- Fraud Target: The FBI provides tips to prevent and avoid scams targeting senior citizens.
- Scam Screen: Four tips on how to avoid scams. Also resources on the latest scams with advice on how to avoid them.
- Senior Housing Crime: Senior Housing Crime Prevention Foundation is devoted to providing a safe environment for seniors through a crime-stopping network.
- BBB Warning: The BBB list five scams and offers advice for seniors on to avoid the scams.
- Senior Citizen Scams: The Attorney General of Idaho provides advice on to prevent scams.
- Crime Prevention Tips: A five-page crime prevention guide for seniors.
Kitchen and Food Safety
- Kitchen Safety: Tips for making the kitchen safe and convenient for seniors.
- Independent Living Kitchen Safety: Kitchen safety guide.
- Food Safety: An in-depth food safety resource guide.
- Food Safety for Older Adults: Food safety guide for adults 65 and older.
- Older Adults and Food Safety: Food safety fact sheet for older adults.
- Food Safety for Seniors: Five guides focusing on food borne illness, food safety and recall basics.
- Fire Safety: The Seattle Fire Department offers safety advice for adults 65 and older. A self-teaching kit is also available for download.
- Elder Abuse and Neglect: Family and friends can learn warning signs, risk factors and prevention tips for elder abuse.
- National Center on Elder Abuse: This organization is centered on providing guidance and information to other elder prevention organizations.
- National Committee for the Prevention of Elder Abuse: A national association focused on protecting senior citizens.
- Signs of Elderly Abuse: 10 signs of nursing home neglect.
- Center of Excellence on Elder Abuse and Neglect: The California center provides support to abused and neglected seniors.
- International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse: A non-profit organization centered on the human rights of seniors.
- What is Elder Abuse?: Explains what is considered elder abuse and the warning signs.
- Signs And Symptoms: Six signs and symptoms of elder abuse.
Assisted Living and Nursing Home Safety
- Issues and Barriers: Find out about the issues and barriers faced in improving nursing home safety.
- Assisted Living Federation of America: The largest national association for assisted living encourages quality cares for senior citizens through policy and information.
- National Center for Assisted Living: The center is focused on knowledge on assisted living and advocating for senior citizens.
- State Residential Care and Assisted Living Policy: State residential care and assisted living policy by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Assisted Living Safety: Resourceful site concentrating on everything assisted living.
- National Fire Protection Association Guide: A long-term fire safety guide for elderly adults.
- Alzheimer’s Disease: Tips for moving a family member or friend into assisted living facility.