Everyone wants to live a happy, healthy, and active life. No matter what your current age, there are things you can do to improve your overall physical health, and your mental state of well-being. By following some simple lifestyle changes, you can live a longer life and one that is healthy without complications. Challenging your brain to stay active is important, and can help increase your lifespan. A healthy diet as well as exercise and good hygiene can work in synergy to ensure you live longer and have minimal health problems. Just by making a few changes and doing some easy things to better your life, you will see an improvement in physical stamina, health, and happiness.
Foods to Boost Your Brain Activity
Believe it or not, there are many healthy foods you can include in your diet that can actually boost brain activity. Fish is undoubtedly on the top of the list. Various types of fish and shellfish contain natural omega-3 oils that have been known to help with brain function. Implementing fish in your diet is good for the brain and the heart, and can also aid in weight loss. Other foods containing antioxidants such as acai berries, coffee, and green tea are all other delicious and nutritious foods that can stimulate the brain’s function. Natural foods such as nuts, bananas, and even sugar in its natural form has been known to help keep the brain functioning at its optimum potential.
- Nutrition & The Brain – This website explains how nutrition plays a role in the human brain’s function.
- Food for Thought – How a good diet can boost your brain power.
- Food and Mood – Information about how different foods can affect your moods and your brain power.
- Food Discovery – Find out how scientists discovered ancient people used various foods to improve their brains.
- Food and the Brain – Learn more about how a person’s thought process can affect their diet.
- Key Facts – Discover these key facts about how food affects brain function.
- Promoting Brain Health – Here are some things you can do to promote brain health, including dietary improvements.
- Study Foods – Information about foods that can help students increase and improve their studying capabilities.
- Feeding Your Brain – Some good menu examples of healthy foods that increase brain power.
- Caring for Your Brain – This article discusses foods that are good and not good for your brain.
Games to Boost Brain Activity
Studies show that the brain is a functioning muscle much like the other muscles in your body. If you do not use it on a regular basis, it can become tired and worn out. By actively thinking and doing things to keep your brain active, you are ensuring longevity and things like memory retention. Stimulating activities are important to help keep your memory and mental stamina sharp. By participating in things like crossword puzzles, riddles, word jumbles, mazes, and other interesting activities, you are ensuring that your brain is getting a “workout.” These types of activities can actually help increase overall longevity and may also prevent problems later in life such as dementia or other brain degenerative disorders.
- Brain Drain – Play this interactive web game to help stimulate your brain!
- Brain Powered Games – Here are some free, fun games that will help stimulate the brain.
- The Brain Explorer – Use these games to discover how the brain functions.
- Brain Games – Each of these games use different parts of the brain.
- Do Games Help? – This article explores whether or not memory and other games can really help the brain.
- Game Resources – A website with links to several brain stimulating games and more.
- Brain Board Game – Print and play this fun board game all about the brain.
- Brain Story Game – This fun and interactive game helps to stimulate the brain.
- Neurobics – Read about exercises for the brain known as “neurobics.”
- Brain Games for Kids – This page features several games kids can play to keep their brains active.
- Warding off Alzheimer’s – Read about how mental exercises can help ward off Alzheimer’s.
- Brainteasers – Check out these amazing and fun brainteasers.
- Brain Training Games – This site offers many interesting brain training games.
- Curriculum – Several different games and other methods can be used to stimulate the brain.
- Rich Diamond – This fun game is also intellectually stimulating!
- Interactive Games – Try these games: a maze, word find, and state game for kids.
- Sudoku – This popular game has been known to keep the brain sharp.
- 50 Brain Games – Check out this site with 50 different brain stimulating games.
- Fit Brains – This website offers many different brain games and activities.
Exercises You Can Do
Aside from rigorous physical exercise that helps the heart, muscles, and overall bodily physique, there are other forms of exercise that one can do in order to help improve brain function. Yoga and Tai Chi are both forms of exercise that require both bodily and mental strength. Meditation is not necessarily a physical exercise, but it does require mental focus and stability. Almost all forms of exercise have been known to increase mental clarity and stamina. Running and brisk walking as well as swimming have all been shown to help improve brain function and keep people focuses. In order for the brain to work properly, the body should be in sync as well.
- Running & The Brain – How running for exercise can help the brain.
- Exercise and Smarts – Information about how exercise can help improve intelligence and brain function.
- Superbrain Yoga – This page explains a yoga move that can help stimulate the brain.
- Yoga & The Mind – An excellent resource about the correlation between yoga and the human mind.
- Tai Chi Benefits – An article about research of tai chi and its many health benefits.
- Tai Chi Therapy – This form of exercise has been known to be therapeutic for people with brain injuries and more.
- Meditation Basics – Explains what meditation is, how to meditate, and more.
- Meditation & Stress – How the practice of meditation can ease stress and improve concentration.
- Your Brain & Exercise – This article discusses what happens to our brains when we exercise.
- Boost Brain Power – Staying active can improve your brain’s power. Find out more here.
Good Hygiene Practices
Practicing good hygiene should be something everyone does, and paying attention to your personal hygiene is extremely important. Not only does this practice make it easier to function in society and be near others, it is also essential for your health. Brush your teeth at least twice a day, and preferably after meals and at bedtime. Research shows that good grooming practices can help you live a longer life. In addition to brushing your teeth regularly, daily showering is essential for your health and keeps hair and scalp clean. It also prevents infections and issues with pests such as lice. Clipping finger and toenails is also important and prevents ingrown nails or infections. Overall, you should use common sense when it comes to good hygiene and remember that it can contribute to a longer and healthier life.
- Basic Hygiene – This page covers the basics of good hygiene including hand washing.
- Hygiene in Alzheimer’s Patients – Important hygiene related issues that can affect Alzheimer’s patients.
- Good Grooming for Kids – Some basics of good grooming, geared towards kids.
- Brushing Teeth – Information for everyone regarding brushing your teeth the proper way.
- Hygiene for Teens – Some great hygiene basics for teenagers.
- Hand Hygiene – Washing hands regularly can prevent disease and illness.
- Personal Hygiene – A great guide to help people understand good hygiene.
- Hygiene & Health – This page offers several different PDF files regarding overall hygiene and health.
- Save on Hygiene – Here are tips on how to save money on your own personal hygiene expenses.